The Hello Kitty Catch 22

Hello Kitty plush key chainsI mentioned earlier that anyone can turn their hobby into a money making venture. While I do truly believe this, putting it into practice can sometimes have some horrifying unintended consequences. My house is a perfect example of this.

My wife has always thought that Hello Kitty was cute and she would buy an item here and there to display. When we were considering purchasing a house, we decided that we would need some extra income to be able to afford the place we wanted. I explained to her that she could take any hobby she had and we could make it into a money making venture. Her choice was Hello Kitty.

Thinking back, I should have made her pick something else right then and there, but fo

This entry was posted in Making Money, Miscellaneous. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The Hello Kitty Catch 22

1. Max says:

You made me laugh quite hard, my man! That’s quite hillarious! :)

2. kassy says:

At least she has the discipline to sell them, if I tried this I wouldn’t be able to get rid of anything cuz they’re sooo cute!!!

3. Steve says:

Ok, I draw the line at Hello Kitty toilet paper!!!! But seriously, hats off to your wife for turning this into some extra income. It if was paying the mortgage for me, I would even consider Hello Kitty underwear! LOL!

4. MoneyDummy says:

*Grin* I’m sure I’m not the only one here who would love to hear HOW your wife did this. That truly is remarkable (and a little–dare I say it– inspiring). Very cool.

5. savvy saver says:

I really want to know more about how your wife did this! Incredible.

6. Jonathan says:

Living in Japan, where do you get the space to store all this stuff?! :)

By the way, I call it the Hello Kitty Cult. How else can you explain HK toilet paper? *4* types of it?!

7. frank says:

I think I would literally go insane. I don’t care how much money she’s bringing in, I would lose it.

Hilarious post though, thoroughly enjoying your misery :)

8. brcmapgirl says:

I love HK! Actually, My Melody, the bunny rabbit, is more of my favorite, but she was less popular. I bet the market for My Melody is weaker, but commands a higher price because the stuff is so rare. It’s addictive. I might want to talk to her about liquidating some of my suction cup figures. They were from a McDonalds promo a few years ago.

9. Apollo says:

Looks like the beginnings of a new venture capital with unlimited growth potential. A financial windfall for the taking. Great sense of humor about the whole thing. You probably have hello kitty dreams. Good luck.

10. Mike says:

I always wanted to know what your wife’s online business was – thanks for telling everyone about it. I try to get my GF into doing something online, but it is really hard to get people motivated unless they make money from day 1.

11. Cap says:

oh man, I’ve found my new nemesis.

your wife.

argh. $250 plushes. lol.

12. ~Dawn says:

So this picture would not be OT to the post? HEhehe

13. Cap says:

dawn, there’s no way thats a real kitty.

btw Jeffrey, what method do you guys use to mail these orders? Japan Post? Do a blog post about it :P

14. ncnblog says:

Hey, hey! Thanks for the mention…
    As for your post… My little girl LOVE HK. Her bedroom looks like a pepto-bismol bottle exploded. Pink EVERYWHERE. She is a total girlie-girl.
    As for your wife making money off of the stuff…Awesome!
    Great post!
    NCN

15. Pingback: CaseySoftware.com

16. Marissa says:

LOL! I’m a Little Twin Stars fan myself…Hello Kitty is very popular here in El Salvador, and we even have a couple of Sanrio stores (EXPENSIVE, all in capital letters expensive!)…and a national clothes manufacturer (St Jack’s) is making children’s clothes (licensed) with Hello Kitty, My Melody and the Twin Stars….they even have women’s pajamas (but only with Hello Kitty, not with the Twin Stars :(( ) I can understand how you must feel HK overload, though!

17. Those Hello Kitties are so cute I want one to keep me company while I’m driving around delivering vans. Don’t know if you can buy them in the UK but I’m going to have a look.

18. Globugg says:

My husband would never believe me if I tried to convince him of the money-making potential in my own collection. We live in Texas and Sanrio stuff is much more expensive here than in Japan, maybe that helps with your profits. I’m printing my husband a copy of this anyway.