Phones: Wireless Or Land Line?

which is better: wireless phones or land line phones?

With the expansion of cell phones and their ever decreasing costs, a lot of people wonder whether it’s better for their budget to have just a cell phone, just a land line phone or both. There is no black and white answer as it all depends on how you use your phone(s). Here are some things to consider:

How Big Is Your Family? – The bigger your family, the better the chance that a land line be a cheaper alternative than cell phones.

How Much Do You Talk? – If you talk a moderate amount, either land lines and cell phones can work as they cost about the same. land lines become a better value the more you talk on the phone

What Is Your Current Lifestyle? – If you are away

This entry was posted in X Files. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Phones: Wireless Or Land Line?

1. thc says:

I’d love to do away with the landline, but our cellular service is just too spotty. In spite of the fact that we live in a very large metropolitan area, we’re on the eastern edge, on the side of a very steep hillside and wireless signals don’t seem to penetrate the rock well. We often see neighbors parked at the bottom of the hill, finishing phone calls, before going on up to their homes.

2. Eric says:

I moved into a newly renovated condo in November and amazingly it doesn’t have a phone jack. My neighbor doesn’t have one either. I wasn’t planning on getting a land line anyway but it is interest that some property owners view phone lines as unnecessary.

3. RS says:

Don’t forget about VOIP. When we moved into our new house, we did away with the landline. We now just have VOIP and cell phone service and so far it has been fine. VOIP service can be had for anywhere between $15 and $45. This is much better than our old landline price of ~$85 (we live in a different state than my wife’s family).

4. Frugal Momma says:

We will probably being transitioning over voip and cell phones within the next year.

5. virginia gascon says:

Your article convinced me…I don’t need a cell phone !
    I frankly cannot understand the amount of people that one sees on the street, in the restaurant, near thr the swimming pool…etc…) talking constantly…they must know a mega amount of persons to chit-chat with !

6. Provi Hernandez says:

But, is there a way to get rid of landline without doing away with my internet as well?

7. pfadvice says:

A lot depends on where you live and what other types of Internet service are available. Cable Internet will give you access without a telephone line.

8. Ken says:

I would drop my landline in favor of wireless if I could solve the problem of extension phones. I’m not sure I want to remember to carry a phone around with me at home, in the car, in the backyard–everywhere I go. Now I have extensions around the house.

9. SaraP4sm says:

I see this happening a lot. My sister cut her land line and just kept a cellphone for her and her husband. I have a middle school aged child and I thought maybe I could save by cutting the house phone. Is this a good idea with a child at home?

10. Cathy says:

Be VERY careful! We just discontinued our landline in favor of bundled phone service through our cable company. Less than two weeks later, my husband suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm. I dialed 911 twice, and the call did not go through. Thank God I had my cell phone, which worked that day. Sometimes my cell coverage is too poor. Needless to say, I reconnected my land line immediately, and we will never go without one again. When I researched this, I found out that failure of the 911 system on cable phones in our area is not unusual. If you are thinking of this, check with your local law enforcement first to see if they are aware of any problems, and do your research!! Incidentally, I was able to get the most basic land line service for a very low price. That’s all I need to ensure that I have reliable 911 access.