Financial Challenge – Day 13

save money on cable

Today we’re going to stick with painless saving, but we’re going to move away from insurance for a short while (don’t worry, we’ll get back to other insurance policies in a short time) and work on some other areas where you can save money without changing your lifestyle. One of the easiest places to lower the price that you’re currently paying (without changing the service you’re currently receiving) is on cable TV or satellite TV.

The key to keeping your cable TV (satellite TV) monthly subscription charge at introductory rates is to keep your eyes open for competing offers. Your junk mail is an excellent place to find these, but also keep your eyes open

This entry was posted in Saving Money. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Financial Challenge – Day 13

1. mjrube94 says:

I recently did this with DirectTv. They knocked $10 off for 6 months, plus an extra $5 off for 3 months because I subscribe to HBO/Cinemax. In return, I had to agree to a one-year commitment, which means I’ll need to wait 12 months before having the leverage to try this again.

Also, if you refer a friend to DirectTv, you can get a $50 credit to your account, unlimited as to the number of referrals you make. So if any of your friends/family decide to switch to get a better deal, have them go through you.

2. Gloria says:

This is a great idea unfortuanetly I’m too poor to have cable or anything like that, but I have done this with the internet. I saved five dollars a month and got a faster speed. Very nice:) I just wish there was a way to do this with the electricity. Is there?

3. Hi Gloria, actually there is a way you can save money on electricity, atleast in the Bay Area. PG&E usually runs a promotion (in Summer for electricity savings and in Winter for gas) where they will give you 20% off of your next month’s bill if your usage (for 3 months during Summer and 3 during Winter) is 10% less than your usage in the same 3 months of last year.

You may want to check this out with your utility company! There is an incentive for them to offer such savings!

Cheers!

4. Linda says:

I called my Direct Tv. They said I was only saving $3.00. But, they took off $5.00 and gave me Showtime for 6 months free.
    Thanks.

5. lexi says:

What if you have basic cable, but there are no other cable companies in the area? We didn’t have cable for years and years (and got ZERO stations without it). We found we were spending money on movie rentals (still cheaper than the movies) as something to do on the weekends. I figured, if we take that movie money and pay for cable, it works out cheaper. We also got a six month introductory rate, plus, got a six month free cable internet and now have cable internet through them at about the same price as our old dial up. That was about a year ago, we are paying regular price now but that is about $50 a month for both services. Not really a bad deal, but I would love to save more! Anyone have any ideas?

6. Heather says:

I found that the cheapest and best option for me was to take my cable service to the most basic of basic levels (it’s $13.50/mo including tax…and I wouldn’t even do that if I got any sort of reception with an antenna in my condo) and sign up for monthly DVD mail rentals (Netflix or similar). The total cost is less than any other cable package I could find, and I can rent TV shows as well as movies on DVD and watch them at my leisure. Everyone always complains that there is nothing on their 500 channels, so why bother with full service cable at all?

7. Pingback: Consumerism Commentary

8. anna says:

Or you could do the unthinkable and just get rid of it. TV, I mean. Satellite, Cable… the works. When my husband and I moved to our first home, there wasn’t even an antenna hooked up (and my husband, God love ‘im, was too lazy to climb up and fix the one dangling on the roof). I suggested that we *didn’t* get TV. Oh, believe you me – the man PROTESTED. But after a few weeks, he found that we actually spent evenings talking to each other, working on projects together (it was a fixer-upper), reading Robert Fulgham books and laughing our hineys off… the savings per year were great, and you can get VHS movies for a penny on e-bay, at garage sales, and at Goodwill for evenings when you want to just watch something.

We’ve been TV-free for almost 10 years now. ((That makes me sound old, but we started at age 23.)) We have cocoa and play cards, get in a lot more reading (if you’re a Christian or a student and complain about not having time to study, well, there it is!). I get my news off the internet… which is dial-up but works GREAT.

I want to be a silly ad for a moment and let you know about Blockbuster on-line, too. Most people just do the in-store dealie, where you pay $15 a month and get unlimited movies with no late fees. It’s not the best deal they have. I’m a mom of three kids under 5, and zipping back and forth doesn’t save me time or gas or stress. But the on-line deal is $15, too, and you get unlimited rentals and two free in-store movies a month… and there are over 5o,000 movies to choose from (way more than the average store). You recieve them at your door, with a free mailer to send it back whenever you’re ready (no late fees) and you get them three at a time (so they’re in rotation and you’re rarely without something to watch). This is an incredible thing for us – and if you like your TV shows, you can get them thru this deal, too. ((Right now we’re doing the entire run of Alias.)) We watch over 12 movies/shows a month for $15. No gas cost, no postage cost, no late fees… And can you imagine the savings if you went in with someone on this?

Whoops. This is one of my soapboxes, and I can’t say enough about the savings not having TV can bring – on time, on money, on brain matter… okay. Stopping now.

9. Joy says:

Hi! I came the site from the Carnival of Personal Finance on The Dividend Guy’s blog.
    There’s only one cable provider in my area, Cox Communications. I was paying $141 a month for bundled digital cable, digital phone and cable Internet. I called to cancel once, telling them it was just too expensive, and the guy gave me an out of sight promotional rate — I paid $58 the following month. I called again, but the next few people I spoke to didn’t seem to care about my threat to cancel. I eventually canceled digital cable and the phone, because I’m trying to pay off cc debt and just couldn’t justify that enormous cable bill.

10. davis says:

I find the best way to make this work is to find cable promotions if you have satellite TV and satellite TV promotions if you have cable. I swear the two hate each other with a passion and they will do almost anything to keep you from going to the other side.

11. Pingback: Links Tips Ideas » Lower Your Cable Bill

12. Pingback: Lower Your Cable and Internet Bill Today - Plus6 …a personal finance blog

13. Pingback: The Easy Way To Lower Your Monthly Bills | OneKnoxFamily