I know, Christmas hasn’t even arrived, but if you want to make next Christmas a lot less hectic, it’s worthwhile to take a few minutes and go through the areas that caused problems or extra spending this Christmas while they are fresh in your mind. Since retail stores usually have limited storage space, they want to sell out their Christmas stock as quickly as possible which means great deals for you. Here are some after Christmas preparations tips that can help save money:
– Stock up on Christmas wrapping paper, bows and ribbons – most can be picked up for 50% – 80% off the retail price they were selling for the week before – and simply save them until next season. Also look for “generic” holiday paper that can be used at other times of the year besides Christmas.
– While switching all your holiday greetings to electronic cards would be the ultimate goal for card savings, there are still probably a few people on your list to whom you will want or need to send a real holiday greeting. After Christmas you can find boxed holiday cards at deep discounts which will save you significantly over individual cards.
– Take an inventory of Christmas lights to see if any of the strings needs to be replaced. When replacing them, opt for LED lights (they cost a bit more, but use significantly less energy and last much longer than standard holiday lights). These lights should be heavily discounted after Christmas.
– If any Christmas themed decorations need to be replaced, this is also a good time to get them at 50% or more off retail. This includes candles, small display items, etc.
– After Christmas is also a good time to pick up ornaments for the tree at great discounts.
A little preparation now can save you quite a bit of money and frustration next Christmas.